Tuesday, April 20, 2010





Here is an email I sent to Jen and Tony (instigators of this crazy challenge. I think this explains enough about today....

Jen & Tony,

First of all let me say - I was with Jen on today's challenge.
Sorry Tony, it's a girl thing, you just gotta get your girl's
back...especially when someone as evil... I mean, encouraging, as you
comes up with a CRAZY idea like the 99 Minute Challenge.

I signed up for this challenge after being prompted by a friend who
was going to attempt the 99 minutes on the stair master. I thought it
was a great idea and of course anything for charity is always a good
opportunity. However, today it took on a different meaning to me.
After reading both of your blogs (which are great and I really LOVE
btw) I realized a few things. This is about proving to YOURSELF that
you can really do it. You can step out of your comfort zone and you
can do things you might not have imagined or thought of without a
little prompting. I often find when working out that it's more of a
head game than it is physical. Of course the physical part is hard,
but sticking with it, giving it 100% and really going a little further
than I "thought" seems to be a struggle.

You both inspired me today. To go out of my comfort zone. To do
something for myself. To prove to myself that I can get out of my own
head and ego.

When I was driving to work and to the gym after work this afternoon I
saw people out jogging and walking dogs. They may not have been part
of the challenge, but it reminded me that there were a LOT of people
today that were all in this TOGETHER, for the same purpose and that we
were bound by that. And hey, you never know, maybe one of those people
walking down the street WAS participating in the challenge, it's a
small world at times. :)

I have spent all of 5 minutes on the Arc Trainer. I tried it one time
and thought it sucked pretty hard. I also hate the elliptical, but
that's another story. With the encouragement of 2 of my friends and
you guys, I decided I would go until I couldn't go anymore. After 30
minutes (and 300 calories later WOOHOO) my toes were finally
uncomfortably numb and I really couldn't do anymore. Then I jumped on
the bike for 20 minutes (hey another 100 calories burnt)... and I even
jumped on the elliptical for the last 10 minutes (well, a few minutes
more because I had to round out the calories burnt on that to an even
100).

60 minutes later and almost 500 calories burnt later I walked out
feeling GREAT! I can't remember the last time I worked out and burnt
500 calories (to be honest I usually walk or do C25K on the treadmill
burning roughly 200 and then do another 20 min on the bike for MAYBE a
total of 300).

Instead of "I can't" or "I won't" or "Why" ... now it's "I CAN!" "WHY
NOT?!" "WATCH ME!!!!"

Thank you both for being such a POSITIVE inspiration to lead a
healthier lifestyle, pushing yourselves and everyone around you to
make the most out of this life and out of their bodies!!!!

Have a fantastic night.

And my pics are attached. :) The really blurry one was from the
elliptical, you can kind of see the 100 cals up at the top. Every time
I stopped the display would disappear LOL



-Feral

0 comments

Post a Comment